Thursday, May 3, 2012

Ork Blasta Bommer WIP Pt. 1



For the past several months I have been working sporadically on an Ork Blasta Bommer for Warhammer 40K.  Now that the project is going well, it is time to post a work in progress and show how this monster is coming together.  Before I get into the step-by-step, I will go over the parts list.

(Pics and what notz after the break)


1x Russian AN-72 Cargo Aircraft 1:72 Scale Model Kit from hobbyterra.com
1x Chimera Dorsal Plate
1x Chimera Turret
2x Chimera Track Sections
1x Chimera Rear Door
1x Leman Russ Sponson
1x Land Raider Twinlinked Heavy Bolter Turret
1x Ork Battle Wagon Hardcase
Plasticard (lots)
Plastube (Assorted Diameters)
Insulation Foam
Assorted Guns and Orky Bits

Once I gathered my bits bin, I got into assembly.  Very quickly I realized that the aircraft body I planned on using was to narrow and not to proper scale.  So, my first task was widening the frame.  I used pink insulation foam as it is easy to work with and wood glue two fill the gap between the two halves of the body. 


Once I was sufficiently happy with the results; in other words, a few days of trial and error.  The next step was to give it that typical blocky Ork appearance.


Once the frame came together, I started adding weapons, bits, and scrap panels.


The Deth Arsenal is what separates an Ork Blasta Bommer from a standard Bommer.  So, I wanted to make sure it was WYSIWIG.  I don't think there is any doubt.  That's a whole lotta Dakka.  Mostly constructed using plastube.


In the next image you can see how I used foam and plaster to space the hull.  All this gets covers up with card later, so it doesn't have to be perfect.  And what Bommer would be complete without a tail gunner.


And now in the mid to late phases of assembly, as can be seen below, I have applied first coat of primer and am adding the rest of the scrap panels.  Also seen in this pic is a sneak peek at my next Ork project; any guesses?


So far this monster has a wingspan of 20 inches and is 16 inches long.  In the next post, I will go over construction of the flying base and post more pics with scrap panel progress.  Until then, please feel free to post ideas and let me know what you think.  

Cheers,
     Unkle Zog

No comments:

Post a Comment